What about COVID?
The July 17, 2021, Los Angeles County mask mandate requires masks for all people indoors in public spaces, regardless of their personal vaccination status.
All volunteers must sign in and have their temperature taken, and are required to wear a mask, gloves, and a disposable apron, which we provide.
Volunteers with any flu-like symptoms are not allowed to come to the kitchen. If you are not feeling well, please let us know and stay home until you feel better and have tested negative for COVID.
Should a volunteer test positive for COVID within 4 days of volunteering with us, we should be notified immediately so we can inform staff and volunteers who were in the kitchen during the same time.
Do you have to be a certain age to volunteer for Meal Prep?
Yes. During COVID, volunteers must be at least 15 years of age.
Where do I park?
Volunteers signed up for Meal Prep cannot park on The Salvation Army Campus. Street parking is available on Hollywood Blvd, right in front of The Way In building. Parking is also available on the south side of Hollywood Blvd, on Bronson, and on Carlos, behind the property. An option is to use Uber/Lyft.
Where should I show up and when?
- The Meal Prep shift begins at 1:30 pm, 7 days a week at our kitchen
- The kitchen is at The Way In on the Salvation Army campus at 5939 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028
- The building is located on the east-side of the main drive
- You can enter through the blue framed glass door closest to Hollywood Blvd and sign into the visitor log; the front desk staff will buzz you back to the kitchen, where you can meet the lead cook
What do I wear/bring?
- Comfortable clothing
- Closed-toed shoes
- Hat (for long hair bring a tie back)
- We provide gloves, aprons, and all items used to prepare the meal
- During COVID, please bring your own mask, although we can provide one if needed
What will I be doing?
- Chopping vegetables, fruits, and other foods
- Preparing casseroles & soups
- Lifting and moving items
- Wrapping and packaging food items
- Helping clean, including wiping down surfaces, washing pots & pans, and sweeping floors
Do I have to stay for the full shift?
We ask people to try to stay for a full shift, but we understand that sometimes people have to leave early. For Meal Prep, we ask people to sign up only if they can stay for at least 2-2.5 hours.
Can I edit or cancel my signup?
Yes. You can edit or cancel your signup by logging back into SignUpGenius with the original email and password you used for your signup.
Once you have logged in, navigate to SignUps, then the “Invited To” section where you should see any shifts you are currently signed up for. You can edit the details of your signup (number of attendees, comments, etc.) by clicking the pencil icon to the right or cancel your signup by clicking on the X icon.
What if I’m running late or need to cancel at the last minute?
If you need to cancel, please contact your kitchen lead or please call our kitchen line at 323-462-2032. As a last resort, you can always email us at