Do you have to be a certain age to volunteer for Meal Prep?
If 15, you may help out unaccompanied. Under 15, children must be accompanied by an adult.
Where do I park?
Volunteers signed up for the Meal Prep shift may not park on The Salvation Army Campus. Street parking is available on Hollywood Blvd, on Bronson (east of campus), on Carlos (north of campus), and on Gower (west of campus). An alternative option is to use Uber/Lyft.
Where should I show up and when?
- The Meal Prep shift begins at 1:30 pm, 5 days a week at our kitchen location
- The Community Dinner kitchen is at 5939 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028, on the Salvation Army campus
- The building is located on the east-side of the main drive
- You may enter at the rear of the east-side building, at the blue door
What do I wear/bring?
- Comfortable clothing
- Closed-toed shoes
- Hat (for long hair or bring a tie back)
- Gloves will be provided
What will I be doing?
- Chopping vegetables, fruits, and other foods
- Preparing casseroles & soups
- Mixing and prepping salads (fruit and green)
- Lifting and moving items
- Wrapping and packaging food items
- Helping clean, including wiping down surfaces, washing pots & pans, and sweeping floors
Do I have to stay for the full shift?
We ask people to try to stay for a full shift, but we understand that sometimes people have to leave early. For Meal Prep, we ask people to sign up only if they can stay for at least 2-2.5 hours.
Can I edit or cancel my signup?
Yes. You can edit or cancel your signup by logging back into SignUpGenius with the original email and password you used for your signup.
Once you have logged in, navigate to SignUps, then the “Invited To” section where you should see any shifts you are currently signed up for. You can edit the details of your signup (number of attendees, comments, etc.) by clicking the pencil icon to the right or cancel your signup by clicking on the X icon.
What if I’m running late or need to cancel at the last minute?
If you need to cancel, please contact your kitchen lead or please call our kitchen line at 323-462-2032. As a last resort, you can always email us at